Teens and Young Adults

6. Moving from Pediatric to Adult Health Care

Information and Resources:

It can be hard to find a new doctor who understands your health and medical issues. You also want to find doctors who know a lot about developmental disabilities and will listen to what you have to say. As you are making this change, you should work with your pediatrician to make sure the move goes smoothly.

You might decide to use the same doctor that your parents or other people in your family use. Or, you can ask the doctor you use now to suggest a doctor who takes care of adults. You can also get suggestions from friends, people you know well, your service coordinator, or people in your Circle of Support.

You need to be sure that this new doctor gets the health information from the doctor you used as a child. For tips on switching from a pediatrician to a doctor who treats adults go to:

After you have found a new doctor, the first step is to make an appointment to meet him or her. Sometimes it is hard to talk to a doctor. There are many resources to help you with this:

To Find This Topic For Families CLICK HERE